Sunday, June 10, 2007

Lex, the pup
Posted by Picasa


January 2007

Just a day after I flew home, I went and retrieved my daughter's puppy, Lex from his caretakers. She is still in California until Sunday.

Lex has doubled in size and remembered his 'grandma' and is surprisingly affectionate with me. But oh my god, I forgot how much time and energy a big 4 month old Doberman takes. Plus my aging cat Georgie hates him and lets him know hourly.

I have spent great amounts of energy trying to protect one from the other. Lex taunts him barking and Georgie retaliates by chasing him and swatting him. Its a royal pain in the ass and I can get nothing done. Georgie is a lot more ferocious than Lex and only weighs about 6 lbs.

Lex now wears a muzzle type strap when he goes out in public. It has made him a bit more subdued on trams and I dont feel like a wild animal trainer. He loves people and other dogs and is a joy to take to the park across the street.

I will be so glad when darlin daughter gets back and takes over control of 'Mr crocodile'. He will have a professional trainer soon and all this will be manageable. I think this will be the last 'youngen' I will ever raise. Puppies and toddlers are just too much work.

But the park across the street is lovely, cold and wild and he forces me on long walks daily so I am walking off all the rich holiday food while contemplating the disturbing news of my brother. Its given me time to process what it will all mean in 2007.

No comments: